THE 'BLACK AND WHITE' CHALLENGE
Welcome to the Daily Painters of Pennsylvania Challenge Blog!
One of the best ways to learn about value is to paint
with black and white. By taking color out of the equation, the
ability to see shifts in value in an object (or objects) can
The subject matter of your painting is totally up to you, or
you can use this photograph of an egg.
Create your piece using any medium you want to use, but
you can only use black and white. You can use a premixed
black, or you can create your own chromatic black.
My favorite mixture for chromatic black is ultramarine
blue deep, cadmium red deep and a smidge of viridian green.
(to check that your on the right path when you're
mixing this up, just mix a little bit of white into a little bit
of your mixture)
Good luck, and Happy Painting!
Rules of the Challenge:
1. This monthly Challenge is for DPP members only,
but anyone is welcome and encouraged to make comments on the posts.
2. Submit your Challenge entry just as you would a regular post - with
a picture of your entry and anything you would like to write about
your experience with this particular challenge. You are welcome to
submit more than one entry.
3. All entries must be posted no later than midnight March 31, 2012.
4. To get a larger, high-resolution version of the monthly Challenge photo, just click on
the photo in this post.
5. Please put only your name in the label section of your post - thanks!
(Your name should appear exactly as it does on the DPP blog)
6. Please follow the spirit of this challenge - all submissions must be created
after the Challenge has been posted.
7. Have fun!