Thursday 27 October 2011

From the Train by Dianne Lorden

Whew! The month is nearly over!
I'd been wanting to do this picture, from a photo my husband took a couple of years ago, on our way home from Florida on the Auto Train (what fun!). So, when this challenge came up, I decided to use it here. Then, I got involved in a watercolor pencil class with our own Amy Lindenberger; the timing of this piece was perfect for trying out new techniques.
I enjoyed the underpainting process (top). As Amy pointed out, the curtain is sort of springing from the top of my head. She made suggestions to tone that down, which I tried - it was too late for the best solution, which would have been to alter the composition from the photo. Oh well!
As for the regular colored pencil work, some areas I was fairly pleased with and felt I'd learned something. Others, not so much, but still learned something. I was clearly in over my head with a striped shirt.
I'm looking forward to taking colored pencils with Amy, in November.
The view from the train window, which was the point of the challenge, was a big smear in the photo, so that was hard for me to interpret. Initially, I tried reproducing what I saw in the photo. Yikes! Then I tried to show some elements of the landscape. Yikes.
Anyway, what a great class and what an interesting idea for this month's challenge!

3 comments:

Mary Beth Brath said...

Wonderful post. It is so fun to hear about DPP members working together. It sounds like this month's challenge helped you grow. Lovely piece and I hope to see it in person!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is terrific, Dianne. I like the blur of landscape in the window - it is subtle, but conveys the movement of the train. I bet you are having a wonderful time in Amy's class!

Dianne Lorden said...

Yes! Can't wait for the next one. Thanks, guys :)